Sunday, July 26, 2009

Time to Potty Train

So Julian has been getting really interested in Potty Training lately. Here is how we know this:

He will regularly go to the bathroom, close the door, take off his pants and diaper, situate his stool just right, put his potty seat on the toilet, climb on the toilet and try to go potty, then he will get down and come tell us that we aren't allowed in the bathroom because he is going potty. This has been happening with much more regularity then I expcted in the last few weeks.

He hates having a diaper on.

He loves big boy underwear but the one afternoon that we tried big boy underwear he went potty in the toilet twice but then had an accident in four pairs of underwear and on the kitchen floor. :)

And here's the kicker, today at nursery JD went in to pick him up Julian had a diaper around his ankle but his pants were still on and yes, he was diaperless... not sure how he pulled that off. :)

Once we get back from AK this I think is the first thing that will need to happen, other than getting the boys back on a schedule. YAY for being a big boy!

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this transition to big boy underwear the least painful? And what should I NOT do?

4 comments:

Kara said...

My advice is to be consistent when you try, but if he for some reason after a while is having power struggles, I would not stress about it and say,"Okay Julian, it seems like you are not wanting to go to the bathroom in the toilet, so we will put a diaper on you until you are ready." If he really hates a diaper, that may be a good incentive. You do not want it to become a power struggle.... because it is one you can not win. Hopefully, if you are consistent... it won't be too bad, but don't feel bad if he for some reason decides he isn't quite ready. Every person has their own advice, but I will definitely try to be more easy going the second time around... and know that they are all potty trained by kindergarden :).

Crystyne said...

I did the "cold turkey" method with Mason. One day I told him that he was no longer going to wear a diaper. I introduced pull ups to him as "night time underwear", which he wore at nap and bed time. So during awake times, he wore underwear, no matter how many accidents he had. (I think he was down to just one accident a day after two or three days and totally free after just a week)
As for the poop...Mason got really liked his spider man underwear, so I told him that if he pooped in them, they would be going in the garbage. One day he pooped in them, and Mason watched me throw them away, needless to say he didn't like that one bit, so he never pooped his pants again.
Oh, and for the first day, I fed Mason nothing but salty crackers and apple juice. Totally crazy,not something I would do on a regular basis, but salt makes you thursty, juice never quite makes the thurst go away. It's a never ending cycyle. Mason had to pee ALOT that first day, so he got lots of practice using the potty.
Good luck with the potty training, I now how much it stinks to have two in diapers!

Sara said...

It sounds like Julian is ready! That's great. It's hard to give advice on this because each kid is different and different things work for each kid. We have a sticker chart for Lawson. At first we did fruit snacks, which worked really well. He got one fruit snack for going pee and a fruit roll up for going poo. That worked for awhile and then it got old. Change things up every once in awhile if you decide to do rewards.

Becki Anderson said...

Sounds like your friends have the best advice. Stay consistent, but not a power struggle (you'll have to figure out what that means for Julian and you). Every kid and parent is different, you're just as much apart of the equation as him. Cold turkey is nice. I like the idea of throwing away pooed in underwear... just don't make it more traumatizing than Julian will already make it for himself, but you pretty much have that down already.

He is still very young, and giving you good cues. So I would just follow his lead for the most part.