As a kid my nicknames were Sammy, Sambo Jambo Jackson Jones, Sammy Jo. Most of them are still used in a family setting but until I was in Jr. High I was known only as Sammy. In Jr. High I remember wanting to grow up and become an adult and that meant dropping Sammy as how I referred to myself. I've since gone from Sam to Samantha when introducing myself.
When I talk to my family, specifically when I write emails to my Grandmother, it makes me think about how fondly I look on the nickname Sammy.
To me, it means that they've known me long enough to call me Sammy and that is a big deal for me. They know me well enough that no matter what I'm called, they love me. It means that they know about parts of my life that most others don't and because of that I feel a special bond with them. The way that I've introduced myself over my life and in connection, the people that use those names, each fit into a different part of my life and have shared different experiences with me.
I'm sure it will continue to change. I will be Mrs. Anderson, Sister Anderson, Julian's Mom, Tennnyson's Mom. It's just interesting to think about.
However you know me, feel free to call me that. I like them all. I hope this one makes more sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment