Go to this link to listen to the song. The embed features isn't working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VyK8ftdF08
I grew up listening to Amy Grant. My Mom really loves her music. This is one of my favorite Christmas songs. As I listened to this song the other night it had a whole new meaning for me.
This song is about a prayer that Mary, Mother of Jesus, may have prayed as she traveled to Bethlehem. She was pregnant with the Child of God. She may have felt overwhelmed by the prospect of giving birth, of raising the Savior of the World. She may have felt unworthy and inadequate and alone. So in her desperation, she may have prayed to her Father in Heaven, "I am waiting in silent prayer. I am frightened by the load I bear. In a world as cold as stone, must I walk this path alone? Be with me now. Hold me together, be forever near me. Lighten my darkness, pour over me your holiness. I offer I all I am for the mercy of your plan. Help me be strong. Help me." Even though she may have been so terrified of what was to come and her ability to deal with it, she was willing to follow the Lord's plan for her and for her son.
Then, I pictured Mary kneeling at the base of the cross, watching her son die. Watching people mock him and spit at him. Watching people torture her son, the Savior of the world. Then I pictured her saying this same prayer, "I am waiting in silent prayer. I am frightened by the load I bear. In a world as cold as stone, must I walk this path alone? Be with me now. Hold me together, be forever near me. Lighten my darkness, pour over me your holiness. I offer I all I am for the mercy of your plan. Help me be strong. Help me." Our Father in Heaven had to leave the Savior in his last moments of life in order to fulfill His plan. But He did not have to leave Mary. The Mother of the Only Begotten.
He also will not leave us as we suffer through grief and pain. He will not leave us alone. He never left Mary alone. We must simply ask. I am so grateful for music that speaks truth, that welcomes the Spirit. I am grateful for a Savior who died so that we may live. Who suffered all the sins of the world so that we may repent and be forgiven.
No comments:
Post a Comment