Sunday, December 20, 2009

Re-Evaluating Priorities

I find it interesting that at the beginning (or end) of the year you begin to re-evaluate your priorities. At least I do. I look to the things that I had hoped to accomplish during the year and see how I measure up. I remember at one point I realized that it is also important to get on your knees and evaluate your standing with God regularly as well.

I've been looking at the year and although it was productive, busy, and exhausting; there is still a lot that has been left undone. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The reality is that this year I went from 1 busy child to an even busier child and a baby (who is getting busier by the day). Everything takes longer. I mean WAY longer. Trying to do the dishes is like trying to run a marathon for me some days (it takes over 4 hours sometimes to get them done). This week my body not so kindly decided to let me know that I have gotten myself into too much. I guess the new year will include removing some activities. Wish me luck in this endeavor... simplifying is not a strong point for me.

Do you have any good advice for managing and estimating time? How do you decide what is better when there are so many good things to choose from? (Seriously, I need some ideas here :) Thanks)

4 comments:

Erin said...

I find that it is important to ask myself the question... "What is the main reason why I do what I do?" Usually the answer is something like I do this so my family and I can grow closer. If the answer doesn't fit along those lines, I drop it.

Geneen said...

I gauge my activities by these two simple rules. One, do I have enough time to be there/make it/get it done ON TIME, and two, will it stress me out. If I can't be punctual without stressing out majorly, it gets dropped (if that's possible). If I really want to do it, then I make the time and stick to it. This comes in part to the fact that Doug and I are obsessively punctual people, which is nice in a way, but I also found that I'm a happier person when I am not rushed and not stressed. Imagine that :) Here's an example from my life. I find that a clean house makes me less stressed, so I make the time to pick it up before I leave for things so I'm not stressed out when I get home. I also realize that getting to church on time is important, so I don't iron my clothes (hardly ever at least) and just make due :). As for adding activities, if it's going to stress me out to complete it with kids, I try not to do it. As a result, I sometimes feel a lack in my life because I don't think I accomplish a lot, but I do read a lot of good books :) I don't know if this helps, but it is my mantra in life so far.

IAmHere said...

For me I tried to remember what season it is...When the babies were coming and growing it was the 'planting & tending" season. One must stay close to the home to tend, nurture, protect...In time the seasons will change.
Each and every season accomplishes something vital to the growth of ourselves and those we love.
At this point you are planting the foundations for your family. Your accomplishments include, teaching (everything from laughter to physics), nurturing, protecting, developing healthy lifestyles, role modeling love, and social skills. When you think about it you
are accomplishing the Lord's work in giving your children a foundation to stand on for the rest of their mortal life & that will effect their eternities. Yeah...I would say you have enough on your schedule.
Do not allow the world to distract from what is truly worth accomplishing. There is the first commandment… then there is the one about yourself, and your neighbors… (smile) I think your children sleep close enough to you to be neighbors. (smile) It is fine to do service for others… just take the children with you… or somehow involve them.
Have also found it valuable to remember that all we take with us to the next life is what is in our head and heart. The quilts, food, cleaning are all more valuable, if in some way a relationship is stronger because of it. Remember how we do dishes here? (smile)
Enough of my ramblings … listen to your heart…

heather said...

Seriously glad to know that you actually have limits. Because I was pretty sure you were perfect. :)