Wednesday, December 9, 2009

We're Still Learning

Sometimes I do something stupid or do something without thinking and get upset that I haven't learned my lesson yet. I sometimes get frustrated with Julian when he doesn't act "his age" but then realize that he is acting his age, his age is 2 and 1/2 years old. Julian sometimes gets frustrated when Tennyson takes his toys or tries to color with him or tries to eat his food. I'm sure Tennyson gets frustrated, he just can't vocalize it as well yet :) Sometimes we all just get a bit frustrated. Today I had a simple reminder from my son, one that was not the first and will not be the last of valuable lessons I will learn from him.

Tennyson was playing in a cupboard, Julian was trying to play too but Tennyson was getting in the way. Julian hit Tennyson, Julian got a timeout. Here is part of our conversation about this situation:

Me: You are on timeout
Julian: Why?
Me: You hit brother and that is not ok. He's little and is still learning and you need to be patient with him.
Julian: Mommy, I still learning too.

He's right... we are all still learning. Still learning how to be nice, how to share, how to control tempers, how to apologize, how to generally just control this thing called the Natural Man. It wasn't intended to be mastered in 18 years. If that was the case, our lifespan would be rather short. All of these lessons, and many more, take time. They take patience. They take endurance. They take peace. They also take the right attitude, one of humility and meekness. I am so glad that I have my children to teach (and re-teach) me these things.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sam,
Thank you for that reminder. I am constantly frustrated! Parenting is HARD!! :)